I just got back in the office after an utterly horrendous game of golf. I hit the ball left, I hit the ball right, I hit the ball short, I hit the ball long, I missed putt after putt and lost ball after ball. This game is supposed to be fun….but today, well, it was horrible. I tried to think my way through it, I tried to relax my way through it. I tried a different swing, I tried this and that..all with the same result…pathetic!
Now, I do know that even the worst day at golf is still better than shoveling snow, so I am thankful I was able to play. It got me to thinking. Golf is a bit like life. Sometimes the birdies and pars are a norm. Once in a while a bogey pops up, but all is basically good. Then, days like my game today happen. It all falls apart, goes crazy, and it is difficult to get a grip and change it. Life seems to be one bogey after another.
In Hebrews 12, the writer gives us some real encouragement, encouragement that will help us “not grow weary and lose heart.” (v. 3) Here are some things to think about:
-throw off everything that hinders (1)
-throw of the sin that so easily entangles (1)
-Fix our eyes on Jesus (2)
-Consider him (Christ) who endures such opposition from sinful men
So, stay focused, keep swinging, don’t give up, think about Jesus…he had tough days too! But he continued to be consumed with doing the Father’s will. Make this your goal as well….