Thursday, November 1, 2007

Disciple or Pilgrim

When I think of a disciple, I think of a learner or becomer, someone who is being mentored or instructed by someone else.  The disciple then begins to become more and more like the discipler.  He/she responds to the teaching by living out what he/she learns.

 

When I think of pilgrim, I think of someone on a journey, a wanderer, going from one place to another.  They are someone passing though, on their way to somewhere else.

 

What does this mean to us?  Well, we are both a disciple and a pilgrim.  We are learning from Christ so we can become like him through the work of the Holy Spirit.  We are also pilgrims, strangers, wanderers in this life.  We are on a journey from earth to eternity.  Here is a thought; as we journey from here to there, are we enjoying the trip?  Sometimes we see what doesn’t happen or could happen or should happen.  But are we fully appreciating what IS happening.  I am afraid that some of us are so busy looking back or ahead that we miss the moment we have right now.  Israel was guilty of this.  When things got tough in the desert, they began to complain and wish they were back in Egypt.  They missed the fact that God was feeding them, clothing them, protecting them, and generally looking out for them.  A miracle happened every day and they missed it.  The desert was part of the journey they were on, and somehow they missed the blessing of God in the midst of it.  Thank God for the miracle of today, and the grace He is giving you to live it and experience His hand on the journey.