What if the following companies advertised like this?
Hospitals: “Healthy people wanted”
Fitness Clubs: “Wanted, people in shape”
Restaurants: “Only people who aren’t hungry are welcome here”
Gas stations: “Need Gas? Sorry”
Banks: “We don’t want your money, we have enough”
These establishments would not be very successful in fulfilling their purpose if they did the above, would they? Last Friday, Randy Calhoun, Tami Wilson and I were on our way to the district Sunday School Training event in West Plains and passed a sign on a church that read: “Christians wanted. Apply within.” Something seemed wrong with this approach to me. Did not Jesus say it was the sick who needed a doctor? I think our churches should seek to connect with the broken, lost, hurting, addicted, unbelieving and confused around us. I am not trying to be to critical of the church with this sign, but I think if we are going to fulfill our mission, we MUST reach the disenfranchised of our world. That is what Jesus did! Just a thought….